Thursday, August 13, 2009

Who am I?

Who do you think I am? Can you see me clearly? How about your spouse, child, parent? Have they become just a persona you created? Are you able to look deeply and see who they truly are inside? Do you see them as the same as they were last year or when you first encountered them?

I have a tendency to think of my sisters as they were years and years ago. I still picture my baby sister as a five-year-old. (This particular sister is almost 30 and has 2 little girls of her own!) At times I have to stop and remind myself that she's a grown woman and see her for the wonderful person she has become, not the little girl I remember.

Sometimes I see my husband as he was when we first met...and forget what a loving, capable father he has become.

Sometimes I see my parents as infallible giants and not as normal people with the same struggles as the rest of us.

Sometimes I see what I want to see.

I think it's so much easier to see things in black & white...decide something is good or bad and then be done with it. Seeing the shades of gray...that's harder....it means you can't just give something or someone a label and be done with it...you have to stay open and receptive to change. At least you have to if you want to truly see and truly love. I think it's worth it though, so I'll keep trying. How about you?

1 comment:

  1. I know just what you mean.
    I keep seeing people one campus, thinking I went to high school with them, and then realizing that my former classmates could very well be the PARENTS of their dopplegangers who are my current classmates.

    See a toddler on the playground and think that they are a friend's kid and then realize that that friend's kid is starting 5th grade with my oldest.

    ReplyDelete